Sunday, November 1, 2015

a sweater in one week

Last week I shared photos of a sweater that took me a little over six months to knit. Now I have one to share that I finished in just seven days! I received an invitation for my cousin's baby "sprinkle" (like a baby shower, but a bit lower key for a second or third child usually) a few weeks ago. I knew I wanted to knit something, but the date came up on me a bit faster than I expected and I knew I wouldn't have time for anything elaborate. This pattern, the Baby Tea Leaves cardigan looked simple enough and only required one skein of yarn. Perfect!

cozy birdhouse | hand knit baby tea leaves cardigan

I researched/procrastinated buying the yarn until it was too late for timely shipment of an online purchase, so I swung by my local yarn shop last Thursday. I was looking for madelinetosh pashmina as specified by the pattern but instead found this lovely Wonderland Mad Hatter yarn in a pretty colorway called Tea Tray. The gray should be a good neutral to pair with all her new little pink outfits! I knit the 6-12 month size, but if she takes after her older brother, it will be too small already!

cozy birdhouse | hand knit baby tea leaves cardigan

Here's what knitting a baby cardigan in a week looks like:

Thursday: Yarn purchased. Lady at the store offered to wind it. Yes! Time is of the essence... this saves having to dig out the winder and swift from the closet at home! Cast on and knit a few rows.
Friday: Yoke finished (that's the part from the neck to the arm holes).
Saturday: Took a break to visit with family. Spent 5 hours at IKEA and stuffed a U-Haul completely full of furniture for my brother's new house! Then stuffed ourselves full of pretzels and spätzle at Hofbrauhaus.
Sunday: Ah, so rejuvenated from my break... Body, button bands, and one sleeve completed!
Monday: Finished the second sleeve... knitting complete! Hand washed and laid out flat to dry.
Tuesday: Buttons purchased. Could have attached them too but feeling a little lazy. Watched an Australian mystery show and fell asleep on the couch instead.
Wednesday: Buttons securely attached, sweater photographed. DONE! Sweater in 7 days.

More details are available on My Ravelry page.

1 comment: